The Tangerine is a Citrus fruit and is regarded as one of the varieties of orange (Mandarin Oranges). This tasty and refreshing fruit is packed with nutritious health promoting compounds that contribute to the health of an individual. The Citrus tangerine originated from China, but is presently grown in many other parts of the world, thanks to its pleasant taste and for its numerous health benefits.
Benefits of tangerine
1. Reduces Inflammation – Tangerine help the body in reducing excessive inflammatory processes thanks to its high concentration of vitamin A. They also contain a good amount of vitamin C and the effect of Vitamin C in the body is the provision of an adequate level of antioxidants. These antioxidants are crucial in assisting the body in the fight against both inflammatory and acute illness, as its anti-oxidant capacity can suppress the long term impact these processes can have on the body.
2. Reduces Cancer Risk – Tangerine have proven to be very effective in preventing various types of cancers in the body, reducing cellular damage that can be caused. The tangerine fruit contains high quantities of Phyto-compounds that are known to possess anticancer properties, as well as its well-known anti-oxidant vitamins. They act specifically by preventing the mutation of normal cells, along with subsequent replication of cancer-causing cells. The end result is enhanced inhibition of the proliferation of tumors.
3. Supports The Immune System – The immune system is responsible for several important functions that help maintain our health, though most people know it as the system that prevents illness. The immune system is, however, not immune from harm itself, and needs to be supported by consumption of foods that enhance its defensive functions. Tangerines help to improve the ability of the immune system to detect and subsequently destroy harmful pathogens, helping keep one safe come flu season. This is likely due to the bioflavonoids found commonly in citrus fruits.
4. Protects The Heart – The heart is responsible for pumping blood around the body, making it necessary that it must be kept healthy at all times to prevent disruption to its essential functions. The Tangerine fruit can help protect the heart from the harmful effects of free radical damage and inflammation, which trigger and accelerate the cascade of atherosclerotic plaque deposit and blood vessel blockage. Free radicals are formed in the body under normal conditions, but can cause damage to the body when they are in excess. The Vitamin C present in the Tangerine may serve as a ready means of antioxidant supply that can help in removing these free radicals in the blood and in improving blood circulation to and from the heart. The high anti-oxidant content of tangerines also help prevent oxidation of LDL cholesterol, reducing cardiac risk significantly.
5. Helps Regulate Blood Pressure – Tangerine, in addition to being good for the heart, can also help in the maintenance of blood pressure thanks to the presence of ample potassium. Potassium, a key electrolyte in like manner to sodium, exerts a strongly balancing effect on blood volume, helping ensure that excess water is not retained by the body. Plus, potassium has a vasodilatory action on blood vessels, allowing a greater diameter and the ability of blood to flow.
6. Good for the Eyes – Good eye health requires the consumption of foods that contain carotenoids, as well as other anti-oxidant compounds. Tangerines contain both Vitamin C, and the Carotenoid Vitamin A. vitamin A is important in helping prevent macular degeneration, as well as assisting with drainage of the vitreous humor of the eye, where a buildup of pressure can cause glaucoma.
7. May Assist In Diabetes Prevention – Tangerine doesn’t help with diabetes prevention the way most other fruits do, but rather by its indirect action on increasing fat oxidation. Diabetes falls in a group of disorders that are referred to as metabolic diseases, many of which share a high correlation with obesity. Thus, by helping to reduce the fat stores in the first place, it is believed that insulin dysfunction is less likely to happen, and decreases the risk of diabetes developing.
8. Promotes Wound Healing – Tangerine are another wonderful example of a fruit that promotes and boosts wound healing due to the presence of adequate amounts of vitamin C. This Vitamin is important in synthesizing collagen in the body; collagen being a key structural component of joint and many other tissues, including the skin. This elevated collagen synthesis results in accelerated healing, minimal scarring and even recovery following injury.
9. Improves Digestion – Tangerine contains a high amount of dietary fiber which is helpful in improving bowel movements. This in itself is excellent for preventing constipation, though tangerines are believed to help digestive enzyme production as well. Smelling tangerines can make you salivate that leaves an impact on improving digestion.
10. Helps Reduce Osteoporosis Risk – Tangerine can also help prevent the bones from becoming weak and fracturing easily. Osteoporosis, which is characterized by a generalized progressive reduction in bone tissue mass per volume, typically results in structural weakening. As a result, Fractures of various bones occur very easily especially in older persons, and represent a huge burden to the affected person in terms of mobility. The Tangerine fruit contains a decent amount of potassium, calcium and magnesium, all of which play important roles in maintenance of bone heath and subsequently, in prevention of fractures and structural weakness. Good bone health is one of the key components to remaining mobile well into the senior years.
11. Delays Skin Aging – Tangerine are highly effective natural remedies in combating premature aging and skin deterioration, thanks in large part to its Vitamin C content. As previously mentioned, Vitamin C is essential for optimal collagen synthesis, which in turns results in health of joints and skin, among many other tissues. regular consumption of the Tangerine can help in removing wrinkles and fine lines, as well as improving the appearance of dull, listless skin which is a trademark of poor skin health.
12. Promotes Healthy DNA Synthesis – DNA can be considered what makes us who we are, being wound into helix structures and found inside our chromosomes. The function of DNA is ideally to serve as a “blueprint” for the cells in our body, so that when replication is complete, a, identical copy of the original cell is found. But defects in this copy process occur, and mutations may ensue. Tangerines with their high anti-oxidant potential can help reduce the frequency of these errors, minimizing the risk of more serious complications, such as cancer, because of a mutation being produced.
13. Promotes Quality Hair Growth – Tangerine is highly effective in promoting quality hair growth. Its Vitamin A content helps in moisturizing the scalp as well as in improving the condition of the hair. More so, the Vitamin C in tangerine fruit may be very helpful in facilitating the absorption of iron from the food we eat. The Iron obtained is essential in promoting quality hair. Tangerine also contains Vitamin B12 which helps in promoting hair health as well as in slowing down hair graying, and is believed to help keep follicles in the growth phase.
14. Good for Pregnant Women – Tangerines are a good source of vitamin B complexes like folate which aids in neural tube formation and red blood cell formation in prenatal babies. Tangerines are rich in Folic acid which is needed for proper development of babies, the nervous system, placenta and forming of bones. There will be a decrease in miscarriages if one regularly consume foods that are rich in folate or folic acid. Therefore adequate consumption of tangerine during pregnancy is beneficial to health and the health of the baby knowing that the deficiency of folic acid in pregnant women can cause delivery of underweight infants and may also lead to neural tube defects in newborns.
15. Promotes Wound Healing – Tangerine is known to be one of the fruits that promote wound healing because of the presence of vitamin C. Vitamin C is essential in collagen synthesis in the body; collagen is the structural part of joint and other tissues which also includes the skin. The high collagen synthesis leads to speedy healing, recovery and minimal scarring.
16. Increases your Mood – The smell of tangerine has some surprising psychological effects. Just perceiving the smell of tangerine can help in improving your mood positively. It helps a lot reducing anxiety levels, stress, thereby leaving you to feel more relaxed.
Adding tangerines to your diet
Tangerines can be consumed raw for a healthy snack or made into juice, shakes or smoothies or used in several baking recipes. It can also be added to salads or breakfast cereals.
Tangerines are available from autumn to spring and can be sncaked upon anytime of the day. The best time to consume is in the morning.
Generally, citrus fruits like tangerines are healthy to consume regularly because of its rich in fibre, vitamin C and contain little doses of several minerals. But its excessive consumption can lead to some health problems.
- Excessive consumption of tangerine can result in bowel discomfort, if taken excess, your fibre intake increases quickly causing bloating, gas, watery stools and constipation.
- It can also cause teeth problems due to the high content of acid in citrus fruits. It can lead to breaking down the enamel, the covering coating of your teeth which can result in severe pain, gum disease and bad breath.
- Excessive consumption of tangerine can lead to weight gain, though it is low in calories when it is not eaten moderately can result to weight gain.
Recipe for Tangerine jelly
8 Servings, Calories – 528, Total Time – 35m, Prep Time – 15m
1 litre water
1 kilograms sugar
To prepare this delicious jelly, peel the tangerines and cut them into small pieces. Make sure you remove all the seeds from the fruit. Take a large bowl and add water to it and then add the cut tangerines along with limes mix well and allow the tangerines to set in for a day.
Next day, put a deep-bottomed pan on medium flame and add the tangerine mixture to it. Bring it to a boil until the fruit becomes very soft and then add sugar to it.
Cook the tangerines till the jelly is firm and when done, switch off the burner. You can check, if the jelly is prepared or not by dripping the mixture on a cold plate. The Tangerine Jelly is ready to serve, enjoy with breads or desserts as you like.
Recipe for Tangerine Orange Cake
Calories – 409, Prep time – 20 m, Cook time – 40 m, Ready In 1 h
1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 (3 ounce) package instant lemon pudding mix
3/4 cup tangerine juice
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs 1 teaspoon lemon extract
1/3 cup tangerine juice
2/3 cup white sugar
1/4 cup butter
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease a 10 inch Bundt pan or line a muffin pan with paper cups.
In a medium bowl, stir together the cake mix and instant pudding. Add the tangerine juice, oil, eggs and lemon extract, mix until well blended. Pour into the prepared pan or pans.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, until the cake springs back to the touch. For cupcakes, bake for 15 to 17 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing from pan to cool completely.
In a small saucepan, combine the remaining tangerine juice, sugar and butter over medium heat. Stir frequently until the mixture is smooth. Drizzle over cooled cake or cupcakes.
#tangerine #natural #essentialoils #albino #ratti #tappetino #serpenti #lemon #terrariovetro #teca #topideco #lampade #termostati #dreamsnake #termometro #igrometro #eggs #leopardgecko #snake #terrarioinlegno #dreamnature #venditarettili #food #animalia #modena #lampropeltishondurensis #venditaaccessori #exoticdreams #exoticanimals #bhfyp
#terraristica #drink #tangerines #cocktail #yummy #mandarina #reptile #dinner #cute #orange #breakfast #refreshing #thofjuly #peppermintoil #naturalpreworkout #cooling #desayuno #menopausesupport #freshbreath #gecko #naturalmint #lime #emotionalsupport #wildturkey #moodbooster #almuerzo #lunch #cena #breatheasy #comidasana