Bell Pepper ( Capsicum): Health Benefits, nutritional facts, and email@example.com
Being an ancestral spice, capsicum is a diverse and pungent edible fruit from any of the varieties within the Capsicum genus.
Moreover, the health benefits of capsicum include relief from stomach issues, back pain, headaches, skin aging, diabetes, etc.
It also gives relief from pain related to arthritis.
Bell pepper also contains high amounts of Vitamin C and Vitamin A.Alkaloids work as an anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and antioxidant agents. Capsicum chili harvested when red rather than orange or yellow have higher concentrations of these beneficial benefits.
Nutrients as per 100g of capsicum:
Total Lipid 0.2
Vitamin C 242.5
Health benefits of Capsicum:
1. Anti-inflammatory agent:
The phytochemicals constituents of Capsicum are shown to produce an anti-inflammatory response that alleviates peripheral neurogenic pain related to Crohn’s disease, an inflammatory disease of the bowels.
2. Forms Mucilage:
Capsicum contains tannins. Tannins are astringent and are often considered for their benefits when treating gastrointestinal disorders such as diarrhea, dysentery, and other microbial disorders.
3. Improves Heart Health:
Studies on flavonoids have suggested that they are also beneficial towards preventing coronary heart disease.
4. Skin Care:
Vitamins in the capsicum are shown to have an antioxidant effect on cell tissues, which may improve skin health and prevent aging.
5. Antioxidant Agent:
Many of the bioactive compounds of capsicum provide antioxidant effects. Indeed mproved vasodilators allow these antioxidant phytochemicals to circulate throughout the body. This allows it to protect and repair tissues and DNA damage.
6. Boosts Immunity:
As capsicum contains vitamin C, it helps in strengthening the immune system, repairing damaged brain tissues, lowering the risk of oxidative stress, pediatric asthma. It also improves bone health.
7. Treats Diabetic Neuropathy:
Diabetic neuropathy is a disease that also often produces neurogenic pain in diabetes.
8. Skin Care:
Lastly, vitamins in the capsicum chili pepper are shown to have an antioxidant effect on cell tissues, which may improve skin health and prevents aging.
Capsicum comes in dried form, as a spice as chili pepper or paprika. The dried spice is used in many sauces or added to beverages such as tea.
How to buy and store Capsicum?
Bell peppers are best when they are thick-walled and juicy, so they should feel heavy for their size. Thus, avoid bell peppers with soft or sunken areas, slashes, or black spots.
Moreover, to store bell peppers, start by placing them in a mesh bag to keep them from getting moist. Then, put the pepper in the refrigerator vegetable drawer. Also alternatively, to save chopped peppers, wrap them in a paper towel and place them in an airtight container and use them within 3 days.
Fun facts about Capsicum:
- Firstly, bell peppers originated from Mexico, Central and South America.
2. Since bell peppers have seeds and come from flowering plants, they are actually fruits, not vegetables.
3. The reason which makes the chili pepper spicy is because of the capsaicin, an odorless, tasteless phytochemical, which produces the chili pepper’s heat.
Side -effects of Capsicum:
Side effects include:
2. Burning sensation
3. Skin irritation
5. Liver damage.
6. Abdominal irritation.
Though there are no fatal or chronic side-effects associated with the use of capsicum it is advisable to consume only after seeking advice from the doctor. It is also advisable for children, pregnant women, and breastfeeding mothers to keep their consumption to a bare minimum.
North Indian Dish:
Capsicum Curry Recipe:
This is Punjabi style curry recipe that goes well with roti, paratha, chapati etc.
Please find the below calories chart and the serving size=200g
Total Fat 19.5g
Total Carbohydrate 14.9g
To make nuts powder:
1.1 tablespoon peanuts.
2.1 tablespoon cashew nuts.
To grind into paste:
1.1 medium or 1 cup onion chopped roughly.
2.2 small tomatoes chopped roughly.
3.Small piece of ginger.
4.2 cloves garlic
5.3 green chilies
6.1 teaspoon coriander leaves.
For capsicum curry recipe:
1.Oil as per the requirement.
2.1 large capsicum cut into cubes.
6.1 teaspoon red chilli powder
7.1/2 teaspoon masala powder
8.Salt to taste
- Dry roast the peanuts and cashews on medium heat until they turn brown in color.
2. Firstly, let them cool completely. Grind it into a fine powder.
3. Finally, rind all the ingredients into a fine paste.
Making capsicum curry recipe:
- Firstly, heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add capsicum cubes.
2. Cook them until they become soft. Keep them aside.
3. Heat the same pan again and add 3 teaspoons of oil on medium heat. Once hot add bay leaf, cloves, and cumin seeds. Leave it until cumin seeds splatters.
4. Add onion-tomato gravy.
5. Cook until all the moisture from gravy evaporates.
6. Also, add 1/4 of water. Mix it well and boil it for few minutes.
7. Stir in nuts powder and add cooked capsicum.
8. Mix it well and let it simmer for about 3 minutes.
9. Lastly add masala and mix well.
10. Finally, serve hot with roti, chapati.
Best time to consume: It can be consumed both for lunch and dinner.
South Indian Dish:
Podi Capsicum Curry Recipe:
Nutrition present in the recipe:
Saturated Fat 1g
Vitamin A 51.5%
Vitamin C 135.4%
1.3 large capsicums chopped into medium sized squares.
2.I teaspoon oil.
3.1/2 teaspoon jeera.
4.Pinch of asafoetida.
5.Salt to taste.
6.1 teaspoon amchur powder.
How to make Podi Capsicum Curry?
- In a pan, dry roast all the ingredients until all the dals are golden and peanuts are crunchy.
2. Once cool, grind to a coarse powder in the small jar of the mixer. Keep aside.
3. In the same pan heat oil. Add jeera and once it crackles, add asafoetida and chopped capsicum.
4. Stir well and cook on medium heat for 6-7 minutes until almost soft.
5. Add the freshly prepared spice mix, salt, amchur powder, or tamarind paste and stir well till evenly coated.
6. Finally, serve hot with Rotis, steamed rice, pulao.
Links to some best Amazon products:
AKD’S Premeium Quality Fresh Red Capsicum – Red,499 GMS
FARM SEEDS Hybrid Capsicum 1 packet seeds Seed (75 per packet)
Urban Platter Cayenne Pepper Powder Shaker Jar, 80g / 2.9oz [Capsicum Annum, Spicy Pepper Powder]