Buckwheat: Nutritional Values, Health Benefits, And Side Effectscontact@nuturemite.info
Buckwheat is not a cereal or a wheat product. It is actually a fruit seed that comes from the buckwheat plant also commonly called the beech wheat plant and is related to rhubarb. While it is a seed, it is mostly used as a grain because it is low in calories and abundant in complex carbohydrates and fiber. Buckwheat belongs to the Polygonaceae family of plants and was originally thought to have been cultivated in the Balkan region of Europe, slowly spreading to Southeast Asia, and then gradually throughout the Asian continent.
It contains high-quality protein that delivers all of the eight essential amino acids, including lysine which is usually lacking in grains. The gluten-free grain also contains two powerful flavonoids which act as antioxidants, rutin, quercetin.
Total lipid 3.4
Vitamin C 0
Vitamin B-6 0.21
Vitamin B12 0
Also, Vitamin A 0
Vitamin D 0
Fatty acids 0.74
1. Prevents heart diseases:
Flavonoids lower the amount of LDL cholesterol in the blood and keep platelets from clotting, which can lead to heart attack, stroke. Rutin also increases the level of HDL cholesterol, which further reduces the chances of cardiovascular disease.
2. Aids in weight loss:
It has lesser calories compared to wheat, is free of saturated fat and cholesterol, and high in fiber and protein.
3. Rich source of protein:
It contains high-quality proteins, meaning that it has all eight essential amino acids, including lysine. Proteins help to lose your weight by helping you feel full faster. They provide extra energy boosts and they increase cognitive ability.
4. Improves digestion:
It has a high level of fiber, which adds bulk to your bowel movements, helping to move them through the digestive tract, and stimulating peristaltic motion and the muscle contraction of your intestines.
5. Boosts immune system:
It has antioxidant components such as tocopherols, phenolic acid, selenium, flavonoids, which are excellent at finding and eliminating free radicals. They boost the activity of other antioxidants like vitamin C and protect the organ systems from free radicals such as eliminating the presence of LDL cholesterol.
6. Reduces risk of gallstones:
It is rich in insoluble fiber, which also means that it greatly decreases the chances of developing gallstones. Insoluble fiber not only increases the transit time of food through the digestive tract but also reduces the need for the excess secretion of bile acids. When too much bile acid is created, the chances of developing gallstones is much higher. Hence steady intake of insoluble fiber can protect your gallbladder.
7. Prevents asthma attacks:
The magnesium and vitamin E levels in buckwheat are both strong enough to say that buckwheat protects children from developing asthma.
8. Improved bone health:
It is rich in selenium and zinc. Both of these are essential trace minerals that the body needs for strong bone, teeth, and nails.
9. Prevents anemia:
Buckwheat is very high in iron contents, and this is one of the key components in the formation of red blood cells.
10. Skin health:
The high rutin content in buckwheat acts as a natural sunscreen and protects the skin from the damaging effects of the sun. The rich blend of antioxidants and flavonoids also help in preventing signs of aging, like fine lines and wrinkles.
Side effects of buckwheat:
- Some people can be allergic to buckwheat. Re-exposure to buckwheat can lead to serious allergic reactions including skin rash, runny nose, asthma, potentially fatal drop in blood pressure, itching, swelling, and difficulty in breathing.
2. People who are allergic to rice might also become allergic to buckwheat.
Fun facts of buckwheat:
- Buckwheat is a plant. People make flour from the leaves and flowers. This flour can be used either as food or as medicine.
2. It develops large, heart-shaped,green-colored leaves.
3. Buckwheat is a rich source of dietary fibers, proteins, minerals such as iron, manganese, copper, magnesium.
4. Buckwheat is widely consumed in Russia, Poland, China, and Nepal.
5. It is used in the industry of alcoholic beverages for the manufacture of gluten-free beer and whiskey.
6. Discarded hulls of buckwheat are used as fillers for the pillows.
How to buy and store buckwheat?
- Like all grains, buckwheat can be purchased at your local grocery store.
2. Keep buckwheat in airtight contains, away from moisture and heat. The flour is best if kept refrigerated.
North Indian Dish:
- 1 1/4 cups buckwheat
- 1/2 cup sour curds
- 1 tsp green chili paste
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- Salt to taste.
- Clean and wash the buckwheat in enough water only once. Washing it more will cause the starch to drain out.
2. Drain the excess water using a strainer.
3. Combine the buckwheat, curds, and 1/2 cup of water in a deep bowl and mix well. Cover with a lid and keep aside to soak for at least 4 to 5 hours.
4. Add the green chili paste, ginger paste, and salt. Mix well.
5. Pout half the batter into a greased plate and spread evenly by rotating the plate clockwise.
6. Steam in a steamer for about 10 to 12 minutes or till the dhoklas are cooked.
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 to make more dhoklas.
8. Cool slightly and cut into pieces and serve immediately.
Energy 117 calories
Cholesterol 0 mg
South Indian Dish:
Buckwheat and sprouts khichdi:
- 3/4 cup buckwheat washed and drained.
- 3/4 cup mixed sprouts
- 1/2 cup yellow moong dal washed and drained.
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 cloves
- 2 black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker and add the cloves, peppercorns, and cumin seeds
2. When the cumin seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and saute on a medium flame for a few seconds.
3. Add the buckwheat and yellow moong dal and saute on a slow flame for few more seconds.
4. Add the mixed sprouts, turmeric powder, salt, and 4 cups of water, mix well, and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
5. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
6. Serve immediately with fresh curds.
Energy 207 calories
Protein 10.5 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Links to some best Amazon products:
EasyBee Buckwheat 900g Kuttu Giri Buckwheat Seed Groat Kasha Gluten Free
Swabhiman33 Organic Hulled Buckwheat Groats Vacuum Packed (Hulled, Raw) 500 gm
NaturePlatter Buckwheat Seeds – 5Kgs | Gluten Free Buckwheat Groats | Kuttu Giri