Chia seeds: Nutritional value, fun facts, and its health firstname.lastname@example.org
Chia seeds come from the flowering plant of Chia, which is native to Mexico and Guatemala. The scientific names of the plant are Salvia Hispanic, and Saliva columbaries, which is also called ‘golden Chia. Both of these belong to the mint family. They look similar to sesame seeds. Chia seeds are tiny black seeds from the plant Salvia hispanica, which is related to the mint.
Chia seeds contain no cholesterol, and are a good source of energy,protein, fat, carbohydrates, dietary fiber. Amongst minerals they are a good source of calcium, phosphorus, potassium, and magnesium. Chiaseeds are also rich in vitamins such as vitamin C, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin.
Total Lipid 30.74
Vitamin C 1.6
Vitamin B 12 0
Fatty acids 3.33
Health benefits of Chia seeds:
1. Prevents heart diseases:
Chiaseeds are considered as a heart-healthy food. The reason is that they are the richest source of omega -3 fatty acids, and alpha-linoleic acid in the vegetarian world. Omega-3 fatty acids are the good fats that protect the heart, and prevent the onset of heart diseases by reducing the levels of omega-6 fatty acids, and maintaining a stress-free cardiovascular system.
2. Skin Care:
The antioxidants present in Chiaseeds helps to repair skin cells, and prevent further damage. The omega 3 fatty acids helps in maintaining moisture levels in the skin, prevent dryness, delay aging, and the appearance of wrinkles.
3. Manage diabetes:
The starches and carbohydrates present in Chiaseeds are released slowly in comparison to conventional foods and are therefore ideal for type 2 diabetes as blood sugar level would not surge soon after having meals.
4. Dental health:
Chiaseeds helps to eliminate dental issues. Chiaseeds being rich in calcium, phosphorous, and zinc are amazing for the teeth. They keep the teeth healthy, eliminate bad breath, and helps in overall oral care.
5. Improves athletes performance:
Chiaseeds drink can prove to be a great energy drink that boosts energy without contributing to any unhealthy sugar levels.
6. Weight control:
The nutrients in Chiaseeds play a significant role in keeping a persons weight under control in the long run. Since these seeds control your appetite, it makes it easier for overweight people to stick to their goals, and the lean ones to maintain their shape.
7. Eye care:
Chiaseeds are richer in omega-3 fatty acids as compared to salmon or flax seeds. They play a key role in preventing the symptoms of dry eye syndrome, and reducing the inflammation in the eyes.
Side effects of Chia seeds:
- Chiaseeds may cause rashes, hives, vomiting, and diarrhea.
2. Because of the high fiber content in the seeds, chiaseeds cause stomach issues in some people.
3. Chiaseeds are known to treat hypertension as they act as blood thinners.
Fun facts of Chia seeds:
- People have been eating Chia seeds for hundreds of years.
2. They make a great snack bar.
3. Chia makes a great plant based substitute for eggs.
4. Chia seeds offer healthy fats.
5. They are a great quality protein source.
How to buy and store Chia seeds?
- Chia can be found at most health food markets including whole foods, and can even be bought online.
2. You can buy them in the form of seeds or as a powder.
3. Try to buy black or white seeds.
4. Chia seeds can be stored in glass or plastic containers with tight lids, but the Chia flour might be kept in the refrigerator.
5. If you want to store Chia seeds for couple of years then store them in a dry, and cool place and try to remove the air from them. Use the zip lock bags for better storage.
North Indian Dish:
Pineapple Chia seeds and pear juice:
1.2 1/2 cups pineapple cubes
2.1 1/2 tsp Chia seeds
3.1 cup pear cubes
4.1/2 tsp black salt
5.1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- Combine the Chia seeds and 3 tbsp. of water in a bowl, mix well, and keep it aside for 30 minutes.
2. Combine the pineapple, pear, and 1 1/2 cups of chilled water in a mixer and blend it smooth.
3. Transfer the pineapple mixture into a deep bowl, add all the remaining ingredients including the soaked Chia seeds, and mix very well.
4. Refrigerate the juice for at least 1 hour.
5. Serve chilled.
Protein 0.7 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 30.7 mg
South Indian Dish:
Energy Chia seeds drink with lime and honey, for athletes:
1.2 tbsp Chia seeds
2.1 tbsp honey
3.2 tsp lemon juice.
- Combine the Chia seeds,honey,lemon juice and 2 cups of water in a jar and mix well.
2. Cover and keep refrigerated for at least 1 hour.
3. Just before serving, stir, and drink.
Protein 2.6 g
Links to some best Amazon products:
R R AGRO FOODS Organic Premium ChiaSeeds Pack of (1 kg)
Neuherbs Raw Unroasted ChiaSeeds with Omega 3 and Fiber for Weight Loss – 200 Gram
Attar Ayurveda ChiaSeeds for weight loss 250 gm
#buy and store