Cheese: Nutritional values, recipes, and health benefitsmahesh kandakatla
The major health benefits of cheese include relief from hypertension and osteoporosis. It also helps in maintaining bone health, gaining weight, and dental care.
Unlike traditional cheese, cottage cheese is not fermented.
These contain many nutrients, including vitamins such as Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, K. It also contains other vitamins such as thiamine, riboflavin, niacin are also found in different types of cheese.
Total Lipid 33.31
Vitamin C 0
Vitamin B6 0.07
Vitamin B12 1.1
Vitamin D 24
Fatty acids 18.87
Health benefits of cheese:
1. Dental Care:
It has very high calcium content, the first and foremost thing you need for strong teeth.
2. Improves bone-health:
It is also rich in vitamin B which is very good for children, women, and elderly people for the formation and strengthening of bones and cartilage.
Osteoporosis is mainly a deficiency disease caused by a deficiency of calcium resulting in a decrease in bone mineral density. This is particularly seen in women who have undergone menopause, elderly people, and children who suffer from malnutrition. This can be treated with protein, calcium, and a vitamin-rich diet. These components are found in abundance.
4. Promotes weight gain:
It is an excellent food for gaining weight. It is full of proteins, fats, calcium, vitamins, minerals.
How to select and store cheese?
1. Different types of cheese are available in markets all over the world. Some varieties have no preservatives are to be used within a few days of purchase as they will be easily spoilt.
2. Store it in cool places or refrigerate them. Before eating or using it keep it at room temperature for better flavor and texture.
Fun facts of cheese:
- The first cheese was created accidentally, by storing milk in a container lined with an animal’s stomach. An enzyme from the stomach caused the milk to separate into liquid and solids.
2. Because of the safety concerns related to bacteria, the FDA has banned certain cheeses from entering the United States.
3. It comes from the Latin word caseus, which has been found to mean to ferment /to sour.
4. It is made from the milk of cows, buffaloes, goats, sheep, horses, and camels.
5. Some of these can be curdled by adding lemon juice or vinegar
6. There are many types of cheese such as hard cheese, soft cheese cream cheese, processed cheese.
North Indian Dish:
Energy 91 calories
Protein 3.2 g
Carbohydrates 11 g
Fiber 0 g
Cholesterol 6.7 mg
Sodium 83.5 mg
1.5 amul cheese slices
2.3/4 cup plain flour ( maida)
3.1 1/2 cups fresh brad crumbs
4.Oil for deep frying
To be mixed into a herbed mixture:
1.1 tsp dried mixed herbs
2.1 tsp dry red chilli flakes
3.Salt to taste
4.1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
For serving :
- Combine the plain flour and 3/4 cup of water in a deep bowl and mix well to make a smooth batter. Keep aside.
2. Divide the herbed mixture into 5 equal portions and keep aside.
3. Place a slice on a flat dry surface and place 1 portion of the herbed mixture at one end of the cheese slice and roll it up slightly.
4. Cut the cylindrical roll into 3 equal pieces.
5. Repeat steps 3 4 to make 12 more poppers
6. Dip each piece in the plain flour batter and roll it in bread crumbs till they are evenly coated from all the sides. Repeat this procedure once more with each piece so as to seal the herbed mixture in the cheese properly.
7. Heat he oils in a pan and deep fry them till they turn golden brown in color from all the sides.
8. Serve immediately with sauce.
South Indian Dish:
Energy 145 calories
Protein 15.7 g
Carbohydrates 7.9 g
Fiber 0.6 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
1.1 1 /2 cups grated processed cheese
2.12 tsp butter for cooking
3.1 1/4 cups ready-made dosa batter
4.Salt to taste
- Heat the Tava, sprinkle little water and wipe it off gently using a cloth.
2. Pour a ladleful of the batter on it and spread it in a circular motion to make a small circle.
3. Smear 2 tsp butter over it and along the edges and cook on a medium flame till the dosa turns light brown in color.
4. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of cheese evenly over it and cook on a medium flame for about 1 minute or till it melts.
5. Fold over to make a semi-circle.
6. Serve immediately
Links to some best Amazon products:
Amul Cheese Easy – Open Chiplet, 200g
Amul Cheese – Processed Slices, 200g Pouch
Amul Cheese Spread – Plain, 200g Box