Chayote: Health benefits, nutritional facts, and firstname.lastname@example.org
Chayote like pumpkin is one of the vegetables which is very low in calories, which provides just 16 calories per 100 g, and contains no saturated fats or cholesterol. It is light green, pear-shaped fruit also known as Chaco is originally native to Mexico. Chayote can be consumed raw or steamed, baked, stuffed, fried, boiled, etc. It requires well-drained moist soil, long warm growing season to flourish.
It is a good source of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. They are a good source of B-Complex vitamins and folates.
Energy 38k calories
Total Lipid 0.77g
Total dietary fiber 4.5g
Health benefits of Chayote:
1. Helps in weight loss:
Chayote as well as other pumpkins is a veggie that contains a very low amount of calories. It contains a lot of fiber, this is why it is a recommended food for those people who are eagerly trying to lose some weight.
2.Helps prevent birth infant defects:
It is a vegetable that contains B complex vitamins as well as folate. The folate is absolutely necessary for the process of division of cells so that pregnant women while consuming it will help their infant grow and develop in a proper way and prevent it from suffering from any neurological defects.
3. Helps to lower your cholesterol levels:
It doesn’t contain any saturated fats and based on these factors, the Chayote is definitely used to control your overall cholesterol levels. This is why it is quite good to be used by people who are dealing with high levels of cholesterol.
4. Treat kidney stones:
Chayote especially the leaves of this veggie can definitely be used in treating kidney stones. Its leaves can also be found useful when it comes to lowering the overall high blood pressure levels.
5. Lowers your high blood pressure:
The regular consumption of Chayote is believed to help you lower your overall blood pressure levels in the body.
Side effects of Chayote:
It will not cause any side effects on health. However, there is one thing you should be earful is when you peel the Chayote. When you peel the Chayote, it will emit a clear colored sap that can cause itching and hands or fingers that hold Chayote that has been peeled and even can feel numb.
Fun facts of Chayote:
- It is a good source of amino acids, folate, and vitamin C.
2. It is a cucumber-like fruit that resembles an avocado or pear.
3. Chayote originated in Central America, where it was cultivated by Aztecs and Mayans.
How to buy and store chayote?
- Search for medium-sized, fresh, apple green color, firm fruits.
2. Avoid buying if you find any surface cuts, pits, cracks, or bruises.
3. Place them in a paper bag and store inside the vegetable compartment of the refrigerator. They will stay fresh for about 2 to 3 weeks.
- Chayote pears release latex-like liquid especially while peeling which can cause a peculiar tingling sensation and numbness in handling parts.
2. Use hand gloves to avoid the numbness.
North Indian Dish:
Chayote Dry Curry:
Total Fat 0.8g
1.3 Chayote with the skin peeled and finely chopped.
2.1 onion finely chopped
3.3 garlic pods finely chopped
4.1/2 inch piece of ginger chopped
5.2 tsp mustard seeds
6.1/2 tsp paprika
7.1 tsp garam masala
8.2 tbsp olive oil
9.Salt and pepper
10.3 tbsp vegetable stock
- Add chopped onions, ginger, and garlic into a pan with olive oil and saute on a low flame for about 15 minutes.
2. Add the chopped Chayote, vegetable stock, mustard seeds,garam masala, paprika, and stir well.
3. Let cook it for about 5 to 7 minutes. Garnish it with chili flakes and lime juice.
South Indian Dish:
2.2 tbsp oil
3.1/2 tsp mustard seeds
4.1 tsp urad dal
5.1 tsp chana dal
6.2 to 3 dry red chilies
7.1/4 tsp turmeric powder
8.1/4 tsp asafoetida powder
9.1 to 2 tsp jaggery
10.Salt to taste
11.2 tbsp grated coconut
- Wash, peel and remove the seeds from the chayote and chop into small pieces.
2. Heat the oil in a pan.
3. Add the mustard seeds, when it starts to splutter, add the urad dal, chana dal, turmeric powder, asafoetida and saute for few seconds.
4. Add the curry leaves, chopped chayote, jaggery, and salt to taste. Mix well.
5. Cook on a medium flame for about 10 minutes until the vegetables are slightly cooked.
6. Add the grated coconut, mix well, and serve hot.
Links to some best Amazon products:
Seedscare Zucchini/Summer Squash 6 Types (Pack of avg 100++ Combine)
Chayote Squash Cookbook: Delicious Mirliton Recipes
DIYthinker Men Chayote Vegetable Name Foods Environmentally Tote Canvas Bag Shopping Handbag Craft Washable 33cm x 40 cm (13 inch x 16 inch) Multicolor
#buy and store