Green peas: Health benefits, nutritional values, and firstname.lastname@example.org
Green peas are sweet, delicious, and also called garden peas. They have been originated in the Sub-Himalayan plains of northwest India.
Green peas belong to the Fabaceae family. They are also called English peas, spring peas, sweet peas, etc. Green peas or “garden peas” are small, spherical seeds. They come from pods produced by the Pisum Sativum plant. They are not vegetables. Thus, are part of the legume family, which consists of plants that produce pods with seeds inside.
Green peas are a very good source of vitamin K, manganese, dietary fiber, vitamin B1, copper, vitamin C, phosphorus and folate.They are also a good source of vitamin B6, niacin, vitamin B2, zinc, protein, magnesium, iron, potassium.
value = 100g
Energy 81 kcalories
Total Fat 0.40g
Vitamin C 40mg
Vitamin E 0.13mg
Health And Benefits Of Green Peas:
Peas are a low fat and low calories food type. They help in managing your weight effectively.
They contain protective poly phenol content called coumestrol is known to prevent cancer.
High levels of antioxidants in peas prevent several reactions in the body that may cause serious diseases. They are rich sources of many minerals such as iron, calcium, zinc, copper, manganese etc which enhances the immune system of your body.
Peas are also helpful in anti-aging of the skin. The antioxidants which are present in them are flavonoids, catechin, alpha carotene etc. These are helpful in preventing the aging process of your skin and tends to provide a natural glow to the skin.
Anti-inflammatory properties of peas coupled with the action of antioxidants helps in prevention of wrinkles and osteoporosis.
The high dietary fiber content of peas makes them a good digestion. The fiber also improves the metabolism of the body in general by improving digestion.
7.Good For Eye-Sight:
Peas have adequate amounts of anti-oxidant flavonoids like lutein, carotenes as well as vitamin A. Vitamin A is one of the essential nutrients which are required for maintaining the health of mucus membranes, skin and eye-sight.
Fun Facts About Green Peas:
1. The Latin name for the peas is Pisum Sativum.
2. The peas is thought to have originated from Middle Asia.
3. The Romans grew over 37 varieties of peas.
4. Peas are best grown in late spring.
5. Peas can be eaten straight out of the pod.
6. UK is the largest producer of peas for freezing.
Side Effects Of Green Peas:
1.Excess intake of peas can also result in loss of calcium in your body.
2. Consumption in an excess amount of peas can build up uric acid in the body which may cause Gout.
3. If you eat peas in excess amount then it will lead to weight gain instead of weight loss.
4. As peas are largely made up of carbohydrates there are chances of bloating and create a state of excess gas in the alimentary canal.
How to store and buy green peas?
1.Green peas are winter crops. Fresh peas are readily available from December until April in the markets.
2.While buying green peas look for fresh pods that are full, heavy in hands, and brimming with seeds.
3.Avoid those with the wrinkled surface, yellow color seed-pods.
4.To store, place them inside a vegetable container present in the refrigerator set at highly relative humidity where they will stay fresh for about 2-3 days.
5.Frozen seeds however can be used for several months.
North Indian Dish:
Potato green peas (Aloo Mutter) curry:
Energy 155 calories
Protein 3.7 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
1. 1/2 cups potato cubes
2. 1 cup green peas
3. 2 tbsp oil
4. 1 tsp cumin seeds
5. 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
6. 1 tsp finely chopped ginger,garlic
7. 1/2tsp finely chopped green chilies
8. 3/4 cup tomato puree
9.1/2 turmeric powder
10. 1/2 tsp chilli powder
11. 1/2 tsp coriander-cumin seeds powder
12. Salt to taste.
For the garnish:
1.2tbsp finely chopped coriander
1.Heat the oil in a pressure cooker, add the cumin seeds and saute for 1 minute.
2. Add the onions, ginger, garlic, green chilies and saute on a medium flame for about 2 minutes.
3. Add the tomato puree, turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder, masala powder. Mix well and cook on a medium flame for about 2 minutes.
4. Add the potatoes, green peas, 3/4 cup of hot water, salt. Mix well and pressure cook on a medium flame for 3 whistles.
5. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
6. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
7. This goes great with rotis, chapatis, etc.
South Indian Dish:
Green Peas Masala:(Frozen)
Serving size = 1 serving
Total Fat 6.2g
Sodium 328.0 mg
Total Carbohydrate 33.3g
1.1 cup green peas ( soaked or frozen)
2.1/4 tsp ginger
3.1/4 tsp garlic
4.1 tomato finely chopped
5.1 onion finely chopped
6.1 tsp coriander leaves finely chopped
7.1 tsp chilli powder
8.1/4 tsp turmeric powder
9.1/2 tsp masala powder
10.Salt to taste
- Soak the green peas in water overnight. You can use frozen peas also.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add the cumin seeds, ginger, garlic, onion, and saute it for 2 mins until the color changes to a golden brown.
3. Add coriander powder, chili powder, turmeric powder, masala, and salt to taste. Mix well and saute it for 2 minutes.
4. Once the color changes, add the tomatoes. Mix well and cook it for about 2 minutes until the tomatoes become soft.
5. Add the green peas and water if required to form the gravy.
6. Boil it for a few minutes and garnish it with coriander leaves.
7. Serve hot with steamed rice.
Best time to eat green peas:
1.As green peas cause bloating its better to avoid consuming it during the night for dinner.
2.Consume green peas in the morning either for breakfast or lunch.
Links to some best amazon products:
Epicure Petits Pois à L’étuvée, 400g
Pmw® – Green Peas, Paccai Pattani, 500g
Shoppeefresh Dry Green peas 1 KG