Yogurt- A Nutrient-Rich Foodcontact@nuturemite.info
Yogurt also is known as “yoghurt” is a dairy product prepared from the bacterial fermentation of milk. Lactobacillus, a helpful class of bacteria ferments milk into yogurt and aids in the digestive process of the body.
Yogurt is considered a superfood because it is packed with calcium, protein and active good bacteria which helps to keep the gut healthy.
- water – 83.56
- Energy -73
- Protein -9.95
- Total Lipid -1.92
- Carbohydrates -3.94
- Fiber- 0
- Sugars -3.56
- Calcium -115
- Iron -0.04
- Magnesium -11
- Phosphorus -137
- Zinc -0.6
- Vitamin C- 0.8
- Thiamine -0.04
- Vitamin B-6 -0.06, Vitamin B-12- 0.52, Vitamin D -0
- Fatty acids-1.23
Health benefits of yogurt:
1. Improves digestion:
Due to the presence of active bacterial strains in yogurt, it is easily digestible. It helps in alleviating constipation, diarrhea, inflammatory bowel disease.
2.Protects bone health:
Being a milk producer yogurt consists of large doses of calcium, potassium, magnesium and has an anti-inflammatory effect in the body. Calcium and magnesium are essential for maintaining bone and dental health.
Yogurt augments fat loss and reduces central adiposity during energy restriction. It helps you feel full and consequently helps you avoid overeating. This not only helps to keep the weight in control but also reduces belly fat.
4.Enhances brain function:
Being a rich source of probiotics it enhances mood and cognitive function. The rich source of potassium present in curds is essential for nerve health and maintains the fluid balance in the body.
With its anti-inflammatory properties, yogurt can help relieve the symptoms of asthma.
The protein content in yogurt has been found to be higher than that of milk. It is also known to be more easily digestible than milk due to the partial breakdown of proteins, such as casein by the fermenting bacteria.
7.Skin and hair care:
Yogurt helps to cure acne,kin rashes and give s a healthy glow by reducing dark circles and closing pores.It is also beneficial for hair,as it soothes the itchy scalp and treats dandruff.
Side effects of yogurt:
Yogurt is bad for you if you are suffering from any of the conditions:
Lactose intolerance means a condition in which a person lacks the enzyme lactose needed to break down lactose. Consuming yogurt in such conditions may result in diarrhea, abdominal pain.
People who are allergic to milk are actually to casein and whey, types of protein present in milk. Consuming milk will result in hives, swelling, etc.
Excess sugars intake may be harmful to diabetics and those suffering from obesity. Yogurts found in supermarkets usually have added sugars.
Fun facts of yogurt:
- Lactobacillus bacteria is also known as yogurt culture, probiotics, good bacteria and it is good for overall health and wellness.
- February 6th is National Frozen yogurt day.
- Americans consume more than 300,000 tons of yogurt each year.
How to buy and store yogurt?
- Before you buy yogurt, check the best before date on the package and choose the product with the furthest date.
- Refrigerate yogurt immediately after you buy it and store it one of the colder shelves rather than in the door.
- Don’t consume yogurt after the best before date.
North Indian Dish: Crispy potato vegetable in mint coriander curd gravy recipe:
- 2 1/2 cups boiled baby potatoes halves
- Oil for deep frying
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander
- 2 tbsp mint leaves
- Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Roughly chopped garlic- 1tbsp
- Roughly chopped ginger 1 tsp
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp oil
- Finely chopped onions 1/2 cup
- 1/2 whisked curds
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh cream
- Heat the oil in a pan and deep fry the potatoes till they turn golden brown in color from both sides.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the onions and saute on a medium flame for about 1 minute.
- Add the prepared mint-coriander paste and 2 tbsp of water and mix well. Cook on a medium flame for about 2 minutes.
- Add the whisked curds,garam masala, salt, and mix well. Cook on a slow flame for about 1 minute.
- Add the deep-fried potatoes and fresh cream and mix gently. Cook on a medium flame for about 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- Energy -58 calories
- Protein-1 g
- Carbohydrates -2.6g
- Fat- 4.4g
- Cholesterol- 0mg
South Indian Dish: Cucumber curd rice
- 1cup steamed rice cooled
- 1 cup curds
- 1/2 cup cucumber, washed and chopped
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander
- Salt to taste
- Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- 1 to 2 green chilies
- Urad dal 1 tbsp
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida
- 4 to 6 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp oil
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, curds, cucumber, carrots, coriander, rice, and salt. Mix well.
- In another pan heat the oil and add the cumin seeds.
- When they crackle, add the urad dal, green chilies, asafoetida, curry leaves and saute for about 1minute.
- Pour the tempering over the rice and mix well.
- Serve chilled.
- Energy -254 calories
- Protein -5.9g
- Cholesterol-8 mg