34th Week of Pregnancy: Baby is the size of a Cantaloupeemail@example.com
After the 34th week of pregnancy, it is just 6 weeks to go when you will deliver a new life on this earth. You must be so excited to have your baby in your hands. Be patient! The big day is less than 2 months away. Many babies arrive after 38 weeks but your doctor will want you to complete all the 40 weeks for the sake of the health of your baby.
How big is the baby after 34th week of Pregnancy?
Your baby has reached the size of a cantaloupe or thereabouts. The baby weighs about 2.3 kg. He/She has grown to about 17.72 inches in length. So your baby is growing and has reached almost at birth length. Now you may feel less frequent movements of your baby due to less space. But interestingly you can guess which body part of the baby is touching your uterine wall.
The following are the changes that occur in baby in 34th week of Pregnancy:-
- Lanugo, the downy hair that covers his/her body is disappearing.
- Eyes have developed and Pupil can dilate and constrict in response to light.
- Baby lungs are well formed.
- Baby is putting on weight as fat is being stored under the skin which is also helpful in regulating the body temperature.
- If the baby is a boy, then his testicles are descending into the scrotum around this time.
- Baby legs are bent and struck near the trunk due to less space.
- Baby’s eyes are blue at this time. Final pigmentation of Iris will occur in a few weeks of birth, when the eyes will be exposed to the light.
- White, waxy coating protecting the skin of your baby i.e. Vernix is getting thick this week.
It is the stage/condition when baby shifts his/her position lower in the birth canal. It is most likely to happen this week. It is because the baby is getting ready for the delivery. It also decreases pressure on diaphragm which results in relieving from heartburn and breathing difficulties. But its one drawback is that it results in increased pressure on the Urinary bladder.
Symptoms you might experience during 34th week of Pregnancy:-
- Increased pressure on Pelvis, hips
- Increased pressure on the urinary bladder. This results in frequent urination.
- Pressure on your Sciatic nerve
- Braxton-Hicks contractions might continue to prepare your body for delivery of baby
- Leg Cramps
- Increased Vaginal discharge
Body changes observed during this week
- Fast growing hair
- Leaking of Colostrum through mammary glands
- Swelling in feet and ankles
- Stretch marks
- Enlarged belly
- Enlarged breast
At 34th week, the amniotic fluid in the uterus is likely to reach the maximum level. It will occur from this week to the 36th week which will slowly start to decrease after 36 weeks.
Things to do-
Certain muscles in your body will get significant workout during the childbirth. So you can help the muscles by doing some specific exercises. For eg:-
- Kegel exercises- For strengthening your Pelvic floor
- Pelvic tilt- Increases flexibility of abdominal muscles
- Tailor sitting- Stretches and strengthens muscles in your back
2. Perineal Massage
It is very beneficial to massage your Perineum area for the easy birth of your baby. Perineum Massage of this area reduces the chances of tearing and Episiotomy(an incision to the Perineum) during delivery.
3. Sleep on your side if you are not doing it yet
In this third trimester, it is advised to sleep on your side rather than to sleep on your back. As sleeping on back may increase the risk of stillbirth on your baby.
4. Protect your joints
You should take care of your joints in this particular time. Pregnancy hormones relax your joints for making your body prepare for childbirth. If you are practising some yoga or exercises then avoid any high-impact movements like jumping, running etc. Be sure, not to bend your knees when you pick things up and avoid bending your back. Also avoid carrying any heavy object.
5. Have Proper Nutrition
Although Proper, healthy and complete Nutrition is mandatory during the complete time of Pregnancy. But in the third trimester, having a Holistic diet which includes all the nutrients, vitamins and minerals is especially focussed. At this point of your pregnancy, an extra 200 calories a day is must to fuel you and your unborn baby.
The Bottom Line
At this 34th week of Pregnancy your baby is about the size of a Cantaloupe. He/She is likely to shift the position lower in the birth canal. Amniotic fluid in the Uterus will be at peak from this month to 36th month. Perineal massage can be very beneficial for you. At this point of time, take care of yourself, do some easy physical workouts and have proper nutrition.