37th Week of Pregnancy: Baby is the size of Canary Melonmahesh kandakatla
After the 37th week of Pregnancy, it is just 3 weeks to go when you will have your baby in your cuddles. This time you might not feel so easy. You would be suffering from many pains and may have swellings in different parts of the body. But be brave, your sufferings are just to end within a couple of weeks and you are very near to meet your baby as a person on this earth.
How big is the baby after the 37th week of Pregnancy?
At the mark of this week, your baby is the size of a Canary Melon or thereabouts. He/She weighs about 2.9kg and measures about 19 inches from head to heel. That is the baby has gained almost the birth length but will continue to gain some weight for regulating body temperature and keeping blood sugar levels even.
The following are the changes that occur in baby in 34th week of Pregnancy:-
- Body will shift to lower head down position if has not shifted yet.
- Brain of baby is still developing.
- Skull is also continuously growing.
- Lungs of baby are preparing themselves to breathe in the open air.
- Baby’s fingers are becoming more coordinated. That is, the baby has learnt to grasp and hold things like the umbilical cord or its own hand.
At this time, your baby’s gut(digestive system) may contain Meconium. Meconium is a sticky green substance which is formed due to swallowing of lanugo(fine hair) and amniotic fluid by the baby. Ot also indicates that the digestive system of the baby is functional. Meconium will be the baby’s first stool after birth.
Symptoms you might experience during 37th week of Pregnancy:-
- Due to dropping the baby, pressure on Diaphragm has decreased. So you can now have deep breaths again.
- Your bump has shifted to somewhat downwards in position due to the same dropping.
- Pressure on lower abdomen and Pelvis.
- Increase in frequency of Braxton Hicks Contractions.
- Passing of mucus plug.
- Frequent Urination
- More bloating due to extra Progesterone in the body.
- Trouble sleeping
- May feel Nausea and Diarrhoea
Body changes observed during this week:
- Enlarged belly
- You have gained a significant weight like 11.3 kg to 15.9 kg.
- Enlarged breast due to pregnancy hormones.
- Cervix starts to efface(thin) and dilate.
- Stretch marks on belly, hips, thighs and arms.
- Swelling in feet and ankles.
- Leaking of Colostrum through mammary glands.
Call the doctor immediately if you observe any one of the following symptoms:
- Regular contractions
- Persistent headache
- Burning in urination
- Excess lower abdominal or pelvic pain
- Vaginal bleeding
- Continuous passing of mucus through vagina
Things to do in 37th week
1. Pack the bag
As it is just 3 weeks now for the big day. Also it is seen that only 5 percent of babies are born on their actual due date and rest are delivered somewhat earlier. So you should pack a bag that you will have with you in the hospital. Keep some essential things in the bag like a nightgown or night shirt, slippers, a nursing bra, going home outfits for yourself and the baby, sanitary pads, diapers for the baby. Place this bag in an easily approachable place and make it known to the one who will escort you to the hospital at the time of labor.
2. Keep yourself hydrated
Proper hydration of the body will help to make you feel good. Hydration decreases the swelling in body parts and pain due to uterine contractions.
3. Start Perineal Massage if you have not started it yet
It is very beneficial to massage your Perineum area for the easy birth of your baby. Perineum is the area between vagina and anus. Massage of this area reduces the chances of tearing during the delivery.
4. Yoga and exercises
Yoga is a good exercise to make this pregnancy time easy. It is good for body muscle and also helps to relieve too much strain on the joints. Additionally you can do breathing practices. Slow, rhythmic and deep breathing practice will help you to be more relaxed and will also help you out in labor. This practice will also check for insomnia problems if you are going through it.
5. Have Holistic diet
You should have a proper diet which is full of all nutrients, vitamins and minerals. You can go for prenatal vitamins for completing the vitamin needs of the body.
The Bottom Line
At this 37th week of Pregnancy your baby is about the size of Canary Melon. This time might not be so easy for you. You may experience many symptoms. Besides all that, take care of yourself. Pack a bag to take to the hospital. Keep yourself properly hydrated and have a holistic diet.