39th week of Pregnancy: Baby is the size of Watermelonmahesh kandakatla
After the 39th week of Pregnancy, it is just 1 weeks to go when you will have your baby in your arms. It is your 9th month and the end of the third trimester. Congratulations! have made this so far. Of course you deserve a medal for residing such a heavy weight in the body and developing a new life inside your womb. Your baby is now full term and ready to come out any day in this beautiful colourful world.
How big is the baby after the 39th week of Pregnancy?
Baby is now about the size of a Watermelon. He/She weighs about 3.5 kg and measures about 19.6 inches from head to heel. Now the baby has grown to the final birth length that will not change much till the birth day. Whereas the weight might probably increase till the birth day.
The following are the changes that occur in baby in the 39th week of Pregnancy?
As this is the final stretch of your pregnancy and the baby has reached its full term so any big or significant change is not observed in this week. Indeed body weight and length do not change much. Whereas there are some internal developments still taking place in baby to ensure the survival in the outside world. These changes are like-
- Lungs are still developing.
- Lungs are producing surfactant to prevent sticking of air sacs together when the baby will take the first breath in the outer world.
- Brain is also developing.
In fact the brain and lungs will continue to develop even after the baby is born.
At this time you may be feeling less movements of the baby than usual. This is happening because your little champ does not have much more space to move around frequently in the uterus. For any confusion like this you can contact your healthcare provider.
Symptoms you might experience during 39th week of Pregnancy:-
This week, you will notice that you do not experience any new symptom. Although your existing symptoms may get intensified. Besides the ongoing symptoms you would also be experiencing-
- Trouble sleeping. It is happening due to anxiety and the increased size of your belly. Try to make your bedroom as comfortable as possible. You can make yourself comfortable by having extra pillows.
- Losing the mucus plug. In this week losing the mucus plug is a sign that labor is approaching. A clear, pinkish or slightly bloody vaginal discharge might be mucus plug.
- Water breaking. This is actually the vaginal discharge that can be felt like a trickle or gush of fluid. It happens when the amniotic sac around the baby breaks. It is worth to notice that if this amniotic fluid has a foul odour or you are feeling feverish then let this know to your healthcare provider. As this could be the sign of an infection known as Chorioamnionitis.
- Preeclampsia. It is the high blood pressure disorder of the last weeks of Pregnancy. Along with this if you experience nausea, headache, swelling in body parts, vision changes etc. then you should immediately contact your physician.
Now if we talk about your body changes then you will see that in this week any new change in body will not occur and the persisting changes will be with you this week also.
By this time your baby is fully mature and ready to come out so the labor can start at any time. You should be aware about the signs of labor. These are-
- Regular, frequent and progressively increasing contractions.
- Breaking of water.
- Strong pain during uterine contractions.
Things to do-
Pack the bag if not done yet
You should pack a bag that you will take to hospital. Keep some essential things in the bag like a nightgown or night shirt, slippers, a nursing bra, sanitary pads, going home outfits for yourself and the baby, diapers for the baby.
Keep yourself hydrated
Proper hydration of the body will help you to feel good. Hydration decreases the swelling in body parts and pain due to uterine contractions.
Yoga and Exercises
Yoga is good for body muscle and helps to relieve too much strain on the joints. Additionally you can do breathing practices. Slow, rhythmic and deep breathing practice will help you to feel relaxed.
Have Holistic diet
You must have a proper diet which is full of all nutrients, vitamins and minerals.
The Bottom Line
At this 39th week of Pregnancy your baby is about the size of a Watermelon and is full term now. This time you should be aware about the labor signs as it could start at any time. Don’t be anxious. Do some regular exercises, keep yourself properly hydrated and have a holistic diet for healthy delivery.