Spring onion And Their Health Benefitscontact@nuturemite.info
Spring onion is a trendy vegetable, and they come in different varieties including white, yellow, and red. These tender onion bulbs are great in taste and also rich in nutrients.
For a long time, spring onions have been used in Chinese traditional medicines. They are also called scallions.
Spring onions are rich in vitamins including vitamin C, vitamin B2, and thiamine. They are a strong source of flavonoids such as quercetin
Total Fat 0.30g
Dietary Fiber 2.6g
Vitamin C 18.8mg
Vitamin E 0.55mg
Health Benefits Of Spring Onions:
1.Helps Healthy Heart:
The presence of antioxidants in spring onions helps in preventing damage to DNA and cellular tissue by inhibiting the action of free radicals. Vitamin C helps in lowering high cholesterol and blood pressure levels in the body which in turn lowers the risk of heart disease.
2.Improves Bone Density:
Spring onions are loaded with high levels of both vitamin C and K.Both of these vitamins are essential for the normal functioning of bones.
3.Maintains normal vision:
Green onions contain carotenoids like lutein and zeaxanthin that exert an eye-protective effect. This green vegetable contains vitamin A that plays a vital role in maintaining normal vision and keeps our eyes healthy.
4.Lowers blood sugar levels:
Since onions contain sulfur compounds they help in lowering the blood sugar levels. As onions help to lower blood sugar level if you suffering from diabetes make sure you check your sugar regularly.
5.Prevents Stomach Complications:
Spring onions help to prevent diarrhea and other stomach complications. They also improve your appetite.
Fun Facts Of Spring Onions:
- Spring onions are also called scallions.
2. Spring onions can be eaten raw.
Side Effects Of Spring Onions:
- Stop eating onions if you have undergone any surgery. There are chances that onions might increase the risk of bleeding or interfere with blood sugar control during surgery.
2. Some people might suffer from skin irritation or eczema.
3. There are chances of people suffering from stomach distress or pain after eating onion.
How to store and buy spring onions?
1. Choose spring onions with bright green stalks and firm white bulbs. They should be fresh-looking with no wilting or browning of the stalks.
2. Avoid bulbs with soft or discolored patches.
3. If you want to store it for a shorter time then you can keep them outside depending on the temperature inside your kitchen. If it is too hot then the leaves start to wilt.
4. If you want to store it for a longer time then keep it inside the refrigerator. Keep them in a crisper drawer, sealed well in a plastic bag and they stay fresh for about 2 weeks.
North Indian Dish:
Cheese and Spring onion sandwich
This cheese and spring onion sandwich, with its rich mouth-feel and irresistible aroma, is both a sumptuous and tasteful treat.
1.12 toasted bread slices
2.Butter for spreading
1.1/2 cup cheese spread
2.1/2 cup finely chopped spring onions
3.1/2 cup mayonnaise
4.1/4 cup finely chopped capsicum
5.1/4 cup milk
6.1 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
7.1 tsp grated garlic
8.Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Tomato Ketchup Method:
1.Divide the cheese and spring onion stuffing into 6equal portions and keep aside.
2.Apply butter on each toasted bread slice
3. Place a toasted bread slice with the buttered side facing upwards
4. Spread a portion of the cheese and spring onion stuffing evenly over it and sandwich it with using another toasted bread slice with the buttered side facing downwards.
5. Serve immediately with tomato ketchup.
South Indian Dish:
Spring Onion stir fry
This stir fry has a mild sweet taste and hence it will be liked by kids also.
1.1 bunch of spring onions.
2.Salt to taste.
1.1/2 tsp roasted gram dal.
2.4 red chilli
3.1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1.2 tsp oil
2.1 tsp mustard seeds
1.Wash the spring onions along with leaves. Trim the end of the leaves and chop them into pieces. Chop the onions into cubes.
2. Take the roasted gram dal, coconut, red chilies, cumin powder in a blender. Grind them, to a coarse paste with very little water.
1.Heat the oil in the pan and add mustard seeds and wait until they crackle. Later add the chopped spring onions and leaves along with required salt. Mix well.
2. Saute the leaves, onions until the leaves become soft. Mix well and cook for another 2 min if required.
3. Serve hot.
Best time to eat spring onions:
Whether it is raw onions or cooked onions, they are loaded with benefits. Hence you can eat them whenever you manage to get your hands on them.
Links to some best amazon products:
Zonoxo Superior Quality Multi-Function Kitchen Vegetable Scissors Clever Cutter Kitchen Knife with Spring Action – Vegetable Cleaver Knife Cutter Comes with Locking Hinge (Black)
Omaxe Seeds Spring Onion Spring Cut
FARM SEEDS Hybrid White Onion 1 Packet Seeds Seed (1000 per packet)