Organic Jaggery Powder : The Natural Indian SweetenerChetna Wadiwa
ORGANIC JAGGERY POWDER
Monsoon is arriving. Rainy season brings many things to enjoy that we always cherish. As an Indian bachelor would ask for a roadside chai with friends. But one thing I personally noticed is constant. That is “Gur”, well known as jaggery powder. We involve Organic jaggery in every sweet dish. When it comes to rainy and winter days. Roasted pea nuts, halwa, kheer or chikki. Indian cuisines always find a way to add jaggery to it. Organic jaggery is very popular among Asians. Thus we notice it’s production on large scale. Organic jaggery holds a good position for medical purposes as well.
Nowadays, a large population is getting conscious about their health and diet. For which we can make sugar elimination easier by replacing it with organic jaggery powder. Adding rich taste to the meal along with facilitating health benefits to our life.
What is organic jaggery-
The golden colored delicious and flavorsome food, that makes every mouthwatering is the organic jaggery. Generally, found in every kitchen in the county. Many generations have passed but the tradition not get faded. Its preparation does not involve any chemical therefore it is we call it organic sweetening agent.
Organic jaggery is a traditional sweetening agent. Which is made out of sugarcane. It is known as panela is America and mexico and gur in india. It is soft and brown colored. However, its color can vary from yellow to dark brown. During its production, jaggery losses its nutritional entities. Therefore, it contains only traces of the same. Therefore, jaggery is a healthy sweetening agent for consumption. Its color may vary from little white to light yellow. And yellow to dark brown as well.
It can be in solid cubes, granules or powder. Nowadays, jaggery is also preserved in liquid form. In any manner the consumer wishes to.
Organic jaggery vs refined sugar-
From ages, jaggery has been represented as one of the healthiest food product produced by value addition. A number of benefits are there from sugar side. But jaggery always beats refined sugar as it is more nutritious, flavorsome and associated with less preparation methods.
Organic jaggery is produced by simply extracting juice from sugarcane followed by its boiling. Without making use of any harmful chemical. On the other hand, refined sugar production takes place by extracting juice and its chemical treatment.
Organic jiggery produced is usually soft. besides that, refined sugar is solid and crystalline in shape.
For people, who eat food on calorie counts jaggery can be a very good option. Because Jaggery powder contains empty calories. That means, calories without minerals and vitamins.
Benefits of jaggery powder-
Organic jiggery powder comprises trace minerals like, potassium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous and calcium. Which are not present in refined sugar. Organic jiggery is much tastier than the refined sugar.
- Improves digestion-
Have you ever noticed, we Indians usually have jaggery after having our meal!! It is a fact that jiggery stimulate the digestive juices and activity also. Therefore, prevents and relieves constipation. It also clears the food struck in your digestive system.
- Blood purification-
Besides adding many benefactions to our life, works for purifying the essential fluid of the body. As we consume jaggery powder, it goes into our body, flushes the toxin from blood out. Hence, cleans the blood.
- For cold and cough-
If you belong to an Indian family then you already know, what does it mean. As on getting cold and cough infection, every Indian family prior to eat jaggery powder more. Jaggery strengthens the immune system to fight against cold and cough virus.
- Source of energy-
Organic jaggery contains a large portion carbohydrate in it. Which is essential for energy in our body. However, organic jaggery is a complex form of carbohydrate. thus it breaks down and releases energy slowly for a longer time. Unlike jaggery, sugar jaggery is a simple compound. Thus it can be broken into simper form and releases instant energy.
- Prevents allergy-
Organic jaggery exhibits medicinal characteristic. That fight against lung infections, asthma and other related ailments. In Ayurveda, jaggery is considered as an effective remedy against respiratory ailments.
Jaggery powder preparation-
Jaggery powder preparation is almost similar to the method of preparing sugar. both are derived from sugarcane. Besides, exhibit different properties and effects.
- Firstly, for making healthy jaggery powder. Sugarcanes should be disease free and perfectly matured.
- After harvesting, the first stage for value addition is juice extraction from the sugarcanes. By pressing them through extraction machine. The sweet juice is also referred as sap.
- Afterward, pour the extracted juice in a large container. And letting the juice stand for some time. So that the impurities and sediments could settle down in the bottom of the container. this industrial process is clarification.
- The produced clear juice is now poured in flat bottomed pans. After that it undergoes boiling for some hours. Continuous Stirring is necessary during boiling. This process makes the juice concentrated and thick. Hence, the method is called concentration.
- On stirring, all the impurities are taken out. And leaving dark golden or brown thick paste in the flat pan.
- This thick dark brown paste is then placed in another container or mould. And allowed to get cool. On getting cool the paste started getting soften. Thus, the produced product is jaggery.
- Further it may go under granulation in order to make it powdery. Which makes it easy to handle and use.
In eastern india, jaggery is prepared with date palm also. Adding nutrition of date as well.
Sometimes, coconut is also used for jaggery preparation. Especially in west Bengal.
Composition of jaggery powder-
Calorie content per 100g of jaggery powder – 383 kcal
|Glucose & fructose||5-15%|
- Iron- If you are having jaggery means you are having iron. Jaggery powder is rich in iron and thus increases hemoglobin count. Therefore doctors recommend jaggery to anemic patients. Whether you are or not anemic, still you should add jaggery powder to your meal. As directly and indirectly, it benefits our body.
- Magnesium – As per studies, magnesium is very beneficial towards our intestinal health.
- Zinc – Zinc is present in jaggery with anti oxidants in significant amount. It prevents free radical damages. Also, it improves the body resistance against infections.
- Calcium – Jaggery supplies a fair amount of calcium. Which is very important bone health. Jaggery intake means stepping towards bone health.
Similarly, other constituents play key role in direction of the health. Besides, imparting rich flavor and taste it exhibits various medical usage.
Ways to add organic jaggery to your diet-
Organic jaggery indulge the cravings for something sweet. Additionally, with no extra calorie intake. Jaggery also provides instant heat to the body along with instant energy. It is beneficial for overall health.
- In tea or coffee, you can use jaggery powder besides refined sugar. It will be healthier as well as rich in taste.
- We can add jaggery to sweet dishes. Some Indian dishes like Puranpoli (Maharashtrian dish) is mainly involves the use of jaggery. So as the Modak. Similarly, food is the best way to add jaggery in your meal.
- We can also eat jaggery alone. People also love to have it along with pea nuts.
Role of Jaggery powder in Ayurveda-
As per Ayurveda, jaggery provides instant heat (ushma) to the body along with the energy. This produced heat helps in keeping human body hot. And also activates digestive enzymes and juices. Also jaggery helps in reducing constipation related ailments. Properties of organic jaggery powder include-
Ushma (heat producing) property, pitta balancing. vata balancing ,kapha balancing. Hradaya and Antioxidant properties.
Significance in India-
Every year, January brings all kinds of sweets made up of jaggery powder. From Laddoos and kheer to Puran polis. Because of the reason that the year starts with harvesting. Also the harvesting festivals Makar Sankranti, Lohri in Punjab, Sankranthi in Andhra Pradesh and similarly Pongal in Tamilnadu.
All these festivals are related to food and also connects all of us equally. Sugarcane is a perennial crop, which reaches maturity after a long time. So, it is celebrated with making sweets and dishes with its delicious produce jaggery. Therefore, wishing for prosperity in life of farmers. As sweet as the jaggery, better to say “Gur”.
Jiggery powder is a loving product obtained from sugarcane. It is widely used in Asia, also in America.
Jaggery powder is very important as it is used for consumption and for medical purposed also. It is popular among the wide Health conscious population. Due to the fact that it is a healthy sugar substitute.
Jaggery is actually unrefined form of sugar. But contains many essential nutrients.
Besides for daily consumption, jaggery powder also exhibits medicinal properties.
As it is prescribed by doctors to anemia and migraine patients. For controlling symptoms and reducing pain. Since it is unrefined, it maintains blood sugar level undisturbed. Additionally, it boosts immunity and keeps one energetic. Therefore, mostly gym lovers include it to their meal. For keeping yourself away from depression and stress. It is advisable to replace white sugar with the organic jiggery powder.
The organic jaggery powder is very popular. With the view of consumption as well as production. From eating purposes to working for medicinal field jaggery powder proved itself efficient. It is soft and available in various forms. Whether it is solid or liquid form. Usually jaggery is popular for its organic method of preparation. As it’s preparation method is of chemical free kind with no chemical addition to it throughout the process. Though, during cultivation and inter cultural practices fertilizers and pesticides can be an operation. Besides, some growers make it organic in certain manner. As they grow the entire crop in organic environment. Also, use of organic manure and farm yard materials to the soil. Avoiding chemicals and adoption of chemical free materials for better yield, is on demand.
A large population always seeks for organically produced and processed products in the market. For health conscious people it is like a boon. According to a study, around 9.3% of the global population is suffered from diabetes.
Substituting sugar with jaggery powder is a little step towards health improvement.
Avoiding little and common health issues may lead to major ailments in future. Therefore, we must take precautions and care to add more days to your life. Also making it healthy and disease free.