THE RECIPE OF “THE SHAHI FALOODA”Nuturemite
“Falooda is a popular dessert not only in Mumbai (Bombay) where it is thought to have originated but also in the rest of the country. This chilled drink-dessert is the perfect way to cool off in the summer heat.”
2 teaspoon sugar (ground to a fine powder)
1/2 cup pistachios (shelled and skins removed)
1 glass chilled milk (preferably tall; same glass used for serving)
3 tablespoons basil seeds
6 tablespoons rose syrup
2 scoops ice cream of your choice
1/2 cup fine rice vermicelli
1/2 cup almonds (blanched and skins removed)
Steps to Make It
- Ingredients are gathered.
- Cook the vermicelli as you would pasta–in boiling water until cooked al dente. Strain and set aside to cool. Then chill in the refrigerator till needed.
- A few almonds and pistachios are cut into thin pieces. These will be used for garnishing later.
- the powdered sugar, milk, remaining pistachios, and almonds are put in a blender, and are blended until they are smooth. This is then chilled into the refrigerator.
- the basil seeds are put in a bowl and enough water is poured over them so that they completely submerge.
- They will soon start to swell and look transparent with a small dot-like black center. Strain, and keep aside in a small bowl.
- To present the shahi falooda, two tall glasses are frosted.
- Put half the vermicelli and half the pre-soaked sabza (basil) seeds in each glass. Half the milk is poured over them.
- Put just under half the rose syrup (keep a little for garnishing) in each glass, and mix well. Add a scoop of ice cream to this, and drizzle with some more rose syrup.
- Garnish with slivered almonds and pistachios. Add a straw and long-handled spoon and serve!