Drumstick: Health benefits, nutritional values, and recipetulikasingh744
Moringa Oleifera, also known as the drumstick tree or the “miracle tree”.It is a fast-growing, deciduous tree that is native to India and is widely cultivated in tropical and subtropical areas all over Asia, Africa.
Also, moringa can help in managing diabetes, protects the eyes, improve cardiovascular health, enhance bone health, etc.
Moringa leaves and pods are a nutritional powerhouse that provides a great range and amount of essential proteins, vitamins, and minerals. Also, it is a rich source of essential amino acids which are the building blocks of proteins.
It also has a significant amount of vitamins such as Vitamin A, B1, B2, B3, folate, etc. So, its mineral wealth includes calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, etc.
Serving size = 100g
Total lipid fat 1.4
Vitamin C 51.7
Vitamin B-6 1.2
Vitamin B-12 0
Also, Vitamin A 378
Vitamin D 0
Fatty Acids 0
Health Benefits Of Moringa:
1. Powerful Antioxidants:
The Moringa plant offers a rich blend of powerful antioxidants such as kaempferol, zeatin, rutin, chlorogenic acid. Also, because of these powerful antioxidants, they have shown its therapeutic value in curing the damage caused by oxidative stress.
2. Lower blood sugar levels:
Intake of Moringas extract has shown a remarkable improvement in hemoglobin levels. Also, its leaves can be used to prevent chronic hyperglycemia and dyslipidemia(high blood lipid levels).
3. Protects Liver:
Moringa extracts exert a hepatoprotective effect on the liver. Thus, the leaves are used against the liver damage caused by anti-tubercular drugs. So, its stimulating effects help in the speedy recovery process.
4. Protects the Cardiovascular System:
Moringa extracts are helpful in the prevention of myocardial or cardiac damage, due to the presence of powerful antioxidants.
5. Prevents stone formation:
Also, Moringa extracts are effective against the formation of stones in the kidney, bladder, and uterus.
6. Reduces Cholesterol:
Also, moringa is effective in maintaining optimal levels of blood pressure and cholesterol levels in the body.
7. Treats stomach disorders:
The isothiocyanates present in Moringa are effective in the treatment of abdominal disorders such as constipation, gastritis, ulcerative colitis.
8. Skin and hair care:
Also, moringa seed oil is beneficial for the skin and hair and is effective against the infection caused by the herpes simplex virus. Thus, the hydrating and detoxifying effects of Moringa extracts help in neutralizing the effects of harmful pollutants, prevents wrinkles, and slowdowns aging.
Moringa hair oil is very effective for the hair and helps in protecting the hair from environmental damage, including ultraviolet radiation.
9. Improves bone health:
Moringa extracts are beneficial for maintaining healthy bones, which is due to the presence of essential minerals like calcium, phosphorus. Thus, the extracts also help to heal various bone ailments such as mandibular or jaw bone fracture.
10. Relieves Asthma:
The benefits of Moringa plant extracts include relief from bronchial asthma and inflammation caused in the airways.
Also, this vegetable also helps to reduce the severity of asthmatic attacks and various symptoms such as wheezing, cough, contraction of the chest.
11. Improves eye health:
Also, moringa being rich in antioxidants is beneficial for providing protection against retinal damage.
Fun facts about Moringa:
- Moringa is also known as the drumstick tree or “miracle tree”. Due to its extraordinary and unmatched range of medicinal benefits, it was named as the “miracle tree” during the food crisis in Africa.
2. Moringa is called the “never die tree” in parts of Africa because it is so amazingly hardy it seems to grow no matter how tough the environment or how poor the soil is. Also, this tree is known to produce fruit even during drought conditions.
Side effects of Moringa tree:
- Alkaloids in the plant may lower blood pressure and slow heart rate.
2. Moringa bark can cause uterine contractions.
3. Moringa tree extract may interfere with fertility.
How to buy and store Moringa?
- Moringa powder, its extracts, moringa capsules are available online, pharmacy outlets, etc.
2. Look for drumsticks with a smooth skin that is greenish in color. Also, avoid drumsticks that seems too rigid and hard.
- Drumsticks can be wrapped in paper and can be stored in the refrigerator for about 3 to 4 days.
2. Drumsticks can also be frozen. Also, cut them into lengths and plunge into boiling water. Let it boil for few minutes and simmer for 2 minutes. So, drain well, and store in ziplock bags in the freezer.
North Indian Dish:
Drumstick Vegetable Soup:
Nutrients present in the soup:
Energy 81 calories
1.2 to 3 drumsticks, cut into 2 pieces.
2.1 tbsp chopped cabbage
3.1 tbsp boiled green peas.
4.1 tbsp boiled sweet corn kernels.
5.2 tbsp sliced tomatoes
6.5 to 6 basil leaves chopped.
7.1/2 tsp chopped green chilies
8.1 tsp chopped ginger
9.1 tsp black pepper powder
10.1 tsp lemon juice
11.1 tbsp chopped coriander
12.Salt to taste
- Boil 3 cups of drinking water in a deep pan and add the drumsticks. So, cook until they are soft.
2. Drain and preserve the water. Remove the pulp and blend the pulp in a mixer until it becomes smooth.
3. Transfer the pulp in the same pan, add the water and the remaining ingredients and mix well.
4. Boil for about 15-20 minutes and add the water if required to maintain the consistency.
5. Now, Serve hot.
South Indian Dish:
Drumstick dal is cooked using toovar dal, drumstick, and vegetables. Also, like onions, tomatoes that are flavored with a spicy paste of coconut, onions, and spices.
Nutrients present in the dal as per 1 seving:
Energy 251 calories
1.1cup drumsticks, cut into medium sizes.
2.1 cup toovar dal, soaked for about 15 minutes, washed and drained,
3.1/2 tsp turmeric powder
4.1/2 cup chopped onions.
5.3/4 cup chopped tomatoes.
6.1tbsp chopped curry leaves
7.Salt to taste
8.Oil as per requirement
9.1 tsp mustard seeds
10.1 tsp red chili powder
For the coarse mixture
1.1/2 cup grated coconut
2.1/2 tbsp chopped garlic
3.2 tbsp roughly chopped onions
4.1/2 tsp cumin seeds
5.1tsp chilli powder
- Combine the dal, turmeric, and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well, and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
2. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
3. Transfer the cooked dal into the pan. Add the onions, tomatoes, drumsticks, chopped curry leaves, salt, and 1 cup of water. Also, mix well and cook for about 10 minutes and stir occasionally.
4. Also, add the prepared mixture, add 1 cup of water, and mix well. Cook for about 5 min. Keep aside.
5. Heat the oil in a small pan. Add the mustard seeds. Once it starts to splatter, add the curry leaves switch off immediately otherwise it gets burnt and the taste gets spoilt.
6. Pour this tempering over this dal and serve hot with steamed rice.