The top benefits, nutritional values, Uses and storage of Pumpkin Seedstulikasingh744
Pumpkin seeds are also known as pepitas meaning “little seed of squash” in spanish.They are flat, dark green seeds. Pumpkin seeds have a malleable, chewy texture and a subtly sweet, nutty flavor. They are available in many forms like raw and shelled, raw and unshelled, roasted and shelled, roasted and unshelled.
Pumpkin seeds belong to Cucurbitaceae family. Pumpkin seeds are very nutritious. They help to reduce weight, boost immunity, uplift mood, protect against cancer and improve sleep.
Pumpkin seeds contain magnesium, which increases bone density. It also helps to reduce to decrease the risk of osteoporosis in women after menopause.
Pumpkin seeds are a good source of magnesium which protects us from type 2 diabetes.
Heart and liver health
Pumpkin seeds contain lot of nutrients like omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, antioxidants, and fiber. Which benefits both heart, liver and cardiovascular system in the body. It also reduces the cholesterol in the body and decreases the risk of stroke, atherosclerosis and lower blood pressure.
Weight loss and digestion
Pumpkin seeds helps to reduce the weight and improves the digestion by enhancing digestive health.
The immune system
Pumpkin seeds contain antioxidants and vitamin E which helps to strengthen the immune system and maintain healthy blood vessels.
Pumpkin seeds contain lot of tryptophan which is an antioxidant which is used to treat insomnia.
Pumpkin seeds are full of zinc which is a essential nutrient required by women during pregnancy.
It helps to improve the health of both mother and child.
Pumpkin seeds contain lot of antioxidants which helps to protect us from many diseases. Like, reducing inflammation and arthritis.
Skin and eye health
Pumpkin seeds contain squalene which is an an antioxidant compound that is similar to beta-carotene. It helps to protect the skin from UV rays and other types of radiation.
Sexual, prostate, and urinary health
Pumpkin seeds is also used as an aphrodisiac. It helps to increase sexual health and also protects us from benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). pumpkin seeds also treat urinary disorders in both men and women and also reduces the reduces the symptoms of overactive bladder.
Linked to a Reduced Risk of Certain Cancers
Pumpkin seeds reduces the risk of many types of cancer like stomach, breast, lung, prostate and colon cancers. It contains lignans which prevents and treats breast cancer.
Can Lower Blood Sugar Levels
Pumpkin seeds reduces blood sugar level and helps in reducing diabetes. Pumpkin seeds contain magnesium which is responsible for reducing blood sugar level.
May Improve Sperm Quality
Zinc helps to increase the sperm quality and reduces the risk of infertility in men. It also protects human sperm from damage caused by chemotherapy and autoimmune diseases. Pumpkin seeds contain antioxidants which maintains the testosterone levels
Pumpkin seeds can be eaten at any time of day. It goes well with every food item.
Ways to use pumpkin seeds
Pumpkin seeds can beeaten either raw or roasted, salted or unsalted. It can be
If you want to experience the benefits of pumpkin seeds, they’re easy to incorporate into your diet. It can be add in our diet in various ways like
- Top salads with pumpkin seeds.
- Make homemade granola with a mixture of nuts, pumpkin seeds, and dried fruit.
- Brush pumpkin seeds with olive oil, season with cumin and garlic powder, and bake until brown and toasted.
- Make your own pumpkin seed butter (like peanut butter) by blending whole, raw pumpkin seeds in a food processor until smooth.
- Add pumpkin seeds to healthy sautéed vegetables.
- Sprinkle pumpkin seeds on top of mixed green salads.
- Grind pumpkin seeds with fresh garlic, parsley and cilantro leaves. Mix with olive oil and lemon juice for a tasty salad dressing.
- Add chopped pumpkin seeds to your favorite hot or cold cereal.
- Add pumpkin seeds to your oatmeal raisin cookie or granola recipe.
- Next time you make burgers, whether it be from vegetables, turkey or beef, add some ground pumpkin seeds.
How to buy and store pumpkin seeds
Pumpkin seeds can be stored for 3-4 months. They should be stored in a cool, dark, and dry place to improve shelf life in an airtight container. While buying pumpkin seeds make sure that there is no evidence of moisture or insect damage and that they are not shriveled. If it is possible to smell the pumpkin seeds, do so in order to ensure that they are not rancid or musty.
Season in which pumpkin seeds are available
Pumpkin seeds are available all year round
How to make Chewy Pumpkin Seed Chikki Recipe
- 100 grams Pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup Jaggery, powdered
- 2 Cardamom Powder (Elaichi)
- 1/2 cup Fresh coconut, grated
- To begin making this Pumpkin Seed Chikki recipe, firstly grate the coconut.
- Heat a heavy bottomed kadai and melt the jaggery and cardamom powder. Add the grated coconut and stir continuously till the whole mixture turns sticky for about 10 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin seed to mix it well. Brush the two steel moulds with oil.
- Divide the mixture to fill the the moulds and keep refrigerated for 30 minutes.
- Serve it cold or slightly warm it before eating. Keep Chewy Pumpkin Seed Chikki in a box to eat whenever you are hungry or you can also serve it with a cup of Filter Coffee for your tea time break.
How to make Spiced Pumpkin Seeds Recipe
Ingredients for Spiced Pumpkin Seeds Recipe
- Pumpkin seeds 1 cup
- Oil hot 2 teaspoon + for greasing
- Spice mix
- Dried mango powder 1 teaspoon
- Onion powder 2 teaspoons
- Garlic Powder 2 teaspoons
- Salt to taste
- Crushed black peppercorns to taste
Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a baking tray with some oil.
To make spice mix, mix together oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and crushed peppercorns in a bowl.
Spread the pumpkin seeds on the greased tray, place the tray in the preheated oven and roast for 5-7 minutes.
Transfer the roasted pumpkin seeds into a bowl, add hot oil and spice mix and mix well. Cool.
Pumpkin seeds are high in calories so they should be eaten in small quantities as they can cause obesity. Small children can choke while eating pumpkin seeds make sure that an elder is with them while eating pumpkin seeds.
Fun facts about pumpkin seeds
● There Are More Than 50 Varieties of Pumpkin.
● Green Pumpkin Seeds Are the Naked Version of White Pumpkin Seeds.
● Pumpkin Pie Spice Doesn’t Contain Pumpkin.
● Pumpkin seeds is Easy to Cook.
● Pumpkin Seed Oil is very beneficial.