40th week of Pregnancy: Baby is the size of Pumpkin
Congratulations mom you have entered in your 40th week. This is the moment for which you and your baby have been waiting for. This 40th week is the official end of Pregnancy. You will be probably welcoming you little champ this week only. You may be quite anxious for childbirth. This time can be very happy and exciting but a bit challenging too. Try to enjoy these last hours with your baby inside you.
How big is the baby after the 40th week of Pregnancy?
Baby is now about the size of a Pumpkin. He/She weighs about 3.6 kg and measures about 19.6 inches from head to heel. Boys are born somewhat longer and chubbier than girls. Now the baby has grown to the final birth length that will not change much till the birth day. Whereas the weight might probably increase till the birth day.
The following are the changes that have occurred in baby by this 40th week of Pregnancy?
- Hair gets thicker.
- Nails grow longer.
- Lungs have matured.
- Lanugo has disappeared.
- Babies develop two soft spots on the skull. These help to shift one over the other while the baby comes out of the birth canal.
- Meconium is present inside the gut.
- By this time the baby has developed 70 natural skills and reflexes that would help to respond and react.
- Baby’s body is covered with a creamy coating called Vernix caseosa.
Symptoms you might experience during 40th week of Pregnancy:-
This week, you will notice that you do not experience any new symptom. Although your existing symptoms may get intensified.
- Pelvic pain and discomfort
- Frequent Braxton hicks contractions
- Painful leg cramps
- Increased Vaginal discharge
- Low blood pressure
- Varicose veins
- Slow down in foetal activity
- Frequent urination
- Swelling in different body parts
- Overheated body
- Most likely you may have labor contractions and water breaks in this week.
Body changes observed during this week
Along with some physical changes your body would go through some emotional changes too. These are-
- Enlarged belly
- Stretch marks
- Nesting instinct
- Cervix dilation
- Emotional changes: You may go through anxiety and impatience. Due to some hormonal changes you may also experience mood swings.
Signs of Labor in the 40th week
You should be very aware about the labor signs this week as the baby may be coming anytime. Keep an eye on the following signs and contact to your doctor accordingly:
- Light brown and pinkish mucus discharge
- Period-like abdominal cramps
- Throbbing pain in the lower back
- Amniotic sac rupture. You might experience frequent contractions if labor is approaching.
If the leaking water is colourless, odorless and is leaking slowly then it indicates the rupturing of the amniotic sac. It means your labor will start soon.
What to do when water breaks?
Most women have water break before the onset of labor. However some may have it after the contractions begin. The rupturing of the amniotic sac makes your baby prone to many bacterial infections. Bacteria may pass from vagina to uterus. So to prevent infection, use sanitary pads to keep yourself dry and clean. Also contact your hospital and see the doctor as soon as possible.
Things to do in this week-
During this anxious time of preparation, you should also focus on following things which are mandatory to be done.
Pack the bag if not done yet
You should pack a bag that you will take to hospital. Keep some essential things in the bag like a nightgown or night shirt, slippers, a nursing bra, sanitary pads, going home outfits for yourself and the baby, diapers for the baby.
Keep yourself hydrated
Proper hydration of the body will help you to feel good. Hydration decreases the swelling in body parts and pain due to uterine contractions.
Yoga and Exercises
Yoga is good for body muscle and helps to relieve too much strain on the joints. Additionally you can do breathing practices. Slow, rhythmic and deep breathing practice will help you to feel relaxed.
Have Holistic diet
You must have a proper diet which is full of all nutrients, vitamins and minerals.
The Bottom Line
At this 40th week of Pregnancy your baby is about the size of a Pumpkin and is full term now. Get ready to welcome your little one who may be coming anytime now. This week you may feel signs of labor. Have your source ready to go to the hospital. Meanwhile keep going for a walk, keep yourself properly hydrated and have proper nutrition. This all will help you to have a comfortable delivery.