32nd Week of Pregnancy: Growth phase of your baby
At the mark of 32nd week you are in your eight month of Pregnancy. It is just now 8 weeks to go when your baby will see this outer colourful world.
How big is the baby during 32 weeks of Pregnancy?
Baby is now about the size of a Kale leaf. The baby’s weight has almost doubled in the last four weeks and now weighs about 1.7 Kg. He/She has grown to the length of about 28 cm.
The following are the changes that occur in baby during 32nd week of Pregnancy:
- Baby’s fingernails are fully formed and have reached the tips of fingers.
- Toe nails also grow to full length but after the growth of the fingernails. So if the baby gets an itch, he/she can scratch.
- Hair is getting thicker, although may get thin after birth.
- Putting on fat beneath the skin. So the outer surface of the baby is no longer transparent, it has become opaque now.
- All the major organs are fully developed now, except for lungs.
- Baby starts to inhale amniotic fluid for practice of the lungs.
- Ears become more sensitive.
- Bones are fully formed but still soft.
- Lanugo, the soft downy hair that insulates your baby, continues to fall off this week.
- Baby turns to head down position i.e. is getting ready for delivery.
Symptoms you might experience during 32nd week of Pregnancy:-
- Leg Cramps
- Faintness or dizziness
- Contractions get more noticeable
- Breath gets short
- Leaking of thick yellow fluid, Colostrum from Breasts
- Increased Vaginal discharge
- Dryness and Itching over the abdomen
- Mild swelling in your hands, face, legs, ankles because of extra fluids in your body
Body changes observed during this week
- Nipples get more darker
- Enlarged belly
- Enlarged breast
- Fast hair growth
- Stretch marks
Call the doctor immediately if you observe any one of the following symptoms:
- Regular and fast contractions
- Persistent headache
- Blurred vision
- Burning with urination
- Vaginal bleeding
- Excess abdominal or pelvic pain
- If itching is severe on palms of hand or soles of feet then get a test for a liver condition called Obstetric Cholestasis.
Risk of Preterm labor during the 32nd weeks of Pregnancy:
- Regular and fast contractions
- History of previous preterm labor
- High Pelvic Pressure
- Excessive water flow
- Blood clotting disorders
- High Blood Pressure
Don’t be Panic
At this stage if you go into preterm labour, try not to get panic. Babies born at 32 weeks have a much higher survival rate. They are not born with very high risk and usually do not go with long term complications.
Things to do in Week 32
- Sleep on your side
In the third trimester, the advice is to go to sleep on your side. Research has shown that going to sleep on your back may increase the risk of stillbirth.
- Practise Breathing
Slow, rhythmic and deep breathing practice will help you to be more relaxed and will also help you out in labor.
- Keep hydrated
Proper hydration of the body will help to make you feel good. Hydration also decreases the pain of Uterus contractions.
Vitamin D, a key nutrient for growth of Baby:
Vitamin D is very essential to be taken during the third Trimester. It plays a key role in forming bones of the body. Upto the mark of 32nd weeks of pregnancy all the major organs of the body have formed. At the onset of the 32nd week the growth phase starts. Bones that have formed till this week are very soft. So vitamin D gives strength to the bones of the baby. It is recommended to have 10 micrograms of vitamin D per day during pregnancy. Although vitamin D can be taken through sunlight but it is not enough to meet the needs. In this case, vitamin D as a dietary supplement should be taken.
Have Holistic Diet:
When you are 32nd week pregnant, you will see that you are taking less meals at a time. So opt mini-meals throughout the day. During this growth phase of your baby, have a Holistic diet with all the nutrients, vitamins and minerals. For this, try to rotate the food items after categorizing them in groups.
The Bottom Line
At this 32nd week of pregnancy, your baby is of the size of a Kale leaf. All the major organs of the body have developed. He/she has entered the growth phase now. You may experience many symptoms and body changes at this time. Keep yourself properly hydrated and do deep breathing exercises for relaxing yourself. Vitamin D is a key nutrient for the growth of your baby. Have a Holistic diet so that you and your baby can lead a healthy and happy life.