Delayed Speech in child: causes, symptoms and treatments.

Delayed Speech in child: causes, symptoms and treatments.

Every child starts adapting to the general development habits at their own pace. They learn according to their own will. But in some cases, the child is not talking as much as most children of the same age. The problem may be speech delay. 

A speech is when a child is not able to develop speech at an expected rate. It’s a common developmental problem that affects as many as 10% of preschool children.

Your child might be suffering from speech disorder if you are observing the following points:

  • If your child is struggling in saying simple words like mom, dad or other common worlds like hello and bye by the age of 12 to 15 months.
  • Does not understand simple words (such as “no” or “stop”) by 18 months of age.
  • Cannot talk in short sentences by 3 years of age.
  • Not able to make you understand some primary signs such as actions for peeing or thirsty.
image of speech delay in child of age 6

Possible causes for speech and language delay

  • Hearing loss.
  • The child is sometimes not in a mood to talk or possibly not willing to say words.
  • Slow development can be a cause (physically and mentally).
  • Intellectual disability.
  • The child doesn’t spend enough time talking with adults. This can be a reason because the child is not hearing proper words from surrounding.
  • In some cases, autism is the cause of speech delay in the child. autism is a developmental disorder).
  • Elective autism (the child just doesn’t want to talk).
  • Tongue stiffness.

Diagnosing a speech and language disorder.

Doctors help-

You can contact your doctor as soon as you observe some delayed speech in your child or any related symptoms. That way the possible solution can come forward. This is the primary step you should take as parents.

Contact a Specialist-

If you are aware of the activities for a long time then you should immediately contact the specialist for speech disorders who can help you with the best treatment for your child’s delayed speech or language.

Your doctor/ specialist may refer you to other specialists (after observing the target issue). For example, if your doctor thinks your child may have trouble hearing, he or she may refer your child to an audiologist for a hearing test. Or if he/she thinks that there is a need to refer an autism expert (if the growth of the child is troubled). This is the general and most commonly observed process that doctors follow for a better understanding of the issue.

Speech and language delay treatment

No treatment is required!

There is a possibility that your child is just not adapting to the environment or language. He/she may not be suffering from any speech or language disorder there are possible chances that your child doesn’t require any treatment. Before going to an expert or any specialist, ask your family members about the child’s activities where he/she tries to communicate by speaking. Maybe what you are thinking as a parent is just caring towards your child. So, take your decision mindfully before wasting thousands of rupees in paying visiting fees to doctors.

Treatment depends on the type of speech delay.

If your child is not speaking or responding to your signs then he/she may require to be treated by a specialist. The type of treatment will depend on the cause of the speech delay. Many reasons can cause speech delay like a new environment, a new language, bilingual parents or family, the TV cartoons or movies your child is watching may not be in your native language. This also causes language delay.

Referring to other specialists. 

In some cases, doctors refer to a speech and language pathologist. A speech and language pathologist is a person who can show you how to help your child talk more and speak better, and also can teach your child how to listen or how to read the lips of the speaker.

In other cases, your doctor may recommend you to see a psychologist for a specialist review on behavior related issues. In cases of daily activities, your doctor can refer to an occupational therapist. Your doctor may suggest activities in your area such as Early Intervention.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *